Monday, February 22, 2016

Simple Pleasures… Plain & Simple, in Black & White (16 of 29)


Tuesday night = “Bowling Night” in my current stage of life.  We’re about halfway through the season, and it's an absolute blast.  One of the perks of bowling in this particular league is the social interaction.  Thankfully, not only are my team members extremely engaging, but everyone in this league, has a great time and they’re all enjoyable to be around (win or lose.)

Interesting thought tonight though … I’m the lowest scoring “scratch” bowler on the team.  The averages of my teammates are significantly higher.   We're outranking semi-pro bowlers…  you know, those people who actually bowl perfect 300 games.  Midway through the season, we are in first place, how ironic with "low-scoring Tawnda" on the team! 

The reality that hit me tonight, is that this pin shortfall is my greatest contribution to the team’s performance. (Once those handicaps kick in at the end of each game, boom… it almost looks like I know what I’m doing!)  

As is typical of me, I gave this ironic spin a considerable amount of thought tonight.  Much like the shortfall that benefits the team… in life I believe our individual shortfalls may be assets.  Failed relationships, finances gone awry, sickness, poor choices, legal problems, prodigal children, etc. are hard.  At the same time, these challenging life experiences are also phenomenal teachers. 

The drawbacks in life, once navigated – give us wisdom to make more informed decisions in and for the future.  The painful stuff of life also causes us to be more sensitive to the plight of others.  Pain can build character, and no question –  pain endured and overcome makes us far more interesting humans.  Setbacks also make us grateful.  

To close the loop here - Don't waste the lessons learned and the inspiration received in the midst of  “handicaps, shortcomings and gutter balls."  Enrich the life of those around you with non-judgmental humility, and encouragement. If not a relationship you have the freedom to “speak in to” then by all means,  still be empathetic. 
  
For me personally, the people in my life that have gone through the hard stuff …garner more respect.  Their opinions matter more to me - because they've been tested and shaped by the storms of life.   

Most definitely, I’m all about doing my best – and on Tuesday nights… my best falls short when it comes to raw bowling scores.  However, in bowling and in life - I’ll just keep aiming for the middle while continuing to find joy in the game.  


Slipped off my Sperry's & put on my very cool, germ-free
bowling shoes... (in a lovely shade of teal... trust me.)
Tonight’s bowling related “simple joys”
·       * My very own shoes (not a fan of rentals!)

·        *A great group of people each week!

       *Lots of laughs/Discounted beer (bonus) 


·        * Handicaps -  with them, we can still         “win” (bowling & in life!)

No comments:

Post a Comment