Monday, May 26, 2014

Taking Hope to all the Dry & Weary Souls...


 Dear Family and Friends,

Today marks the 6th day of my “processing” a Pilgrimage through the Holy Land.  While moving past jet lag, I’ve spent considerable time reflecting on what it meant to walk in the same places that Jesus once walked, and to lay eyes on the very places He once looked upon during his 33 years of life on Earth.  To say the journey was profoundly impactful is a gross understatement.

Repeatedly, I heard from others who had visited the Holy Land, that after returning to the states, scripture would come alive like never before.  Those sojourners were so right.  The experience has added another dimension to my study of God’s Word – one of literal sight, with colors, sounds and sensations punctuating each passage in my mind.  What didn’t occur to me until yesterday’s 11 o’clock service is that praise and worship songs are even more meaningful than before.  As we sang the familiar song, “Alive” – I couldn’t get through the chorus without getting choked up, tears of praise flowing down my cheeks. 



Marge and me - standing in front of the Garden Tomb
(Completely unlike the depictions in art galleries)

  "It may get loud - The grave is empty now - It may get wild - His love is like no other!

I saw it with my own 2 eyes. I walked inside the actual tomb! The grave IS empty! I knew it before, but I now know it differently.

Speaking of “getting wild” - in recent months, God has left me with no doubt that I’m to go and make Him known in Germany and in Trinidad – both are return visits. I went to Trinidad the summer of 2012 – the first of many “way out of my comfort zone” experiences He called me to in the last 24 months.  My second international mission trip was last July – street evangelism in Cologne, Germany. 

While not overseas, since initiation last spring into Prison ministry, I’ve served in 8 different correctional facilities.  The Lord has opened my eyes through the men and women I’ve encountered behind bars, and in foreign lands.  We aren’t that different –somehow this came as a shock. We all have seasons in the desert… we are all fallen people with assorted flesh-driven desires… we all need hope and healing from something…We all need a Savior.

In the fall, I had the privilege of joining several other ladies who authored “Standing Up in a Fallen World” – a study on the lives of Elijah and Elisha.  Contributing written material for the study was easy to say “yes” to, but I also accepted the opportunity to teach one of the 12 weeks.  Much of this study seemed to center on Spiritual Warfare – not an accident, but something I’ve become intimately familiar with.

There was a moment while on the tour bus last week, entering the area of the Dead Sea, when our Guide said “You are in the desert.”  The seemingly innocuous statement pierced my heart and as often happens, tears filled the corners of my eyes as I tried to “keep it together.”  I said to God in the quiet of my heart, “these people around me have no idea…I’ve been in the desert far too long. I'm ready to be OUT of the desert!”  

The 7 Staff Members on Last Week's Pilgrimage
(incidentally, 6 of the people I most treasure on Earth!)
Fast forward a few days later – back in Atlanta, a new and dear friend said something to me about the way God has been keeping my mind on Holy things … and with 2 imminent mission trips, He’s going to keep my focus on Him and His healing power as I prepare to share with others. Another friend the same day (unaware of my "stuff") spoke words of unknowing encouragement when she pointed out that God sometimes brings us to the desert to get us alone, to show us things we need to know, alert us to great things He has for us and to simply draw us nearer to Him…she pointed out that the desert is actually a great place to be.
Ultimately, last week’s journey through the Holy Land was supernatural refreshment, giving me an increased passion for Christ and for those in need of Him.  There were moments I was reminded of my own human frailty and seriously flawed way of thinking.  I was humbled that a wretch like me could trace the historical steps of our savior in person.  Oh, how critical it is to continually press in to the Lord! My prayer for personal revival and for healing was answered. Now it’s time for me to take joy, take heart and take hope to other dry and weary souls.

On June 11, I’ll board a flight for Germany along with 6 other FBCers for the purpose of bringing the gospel to the people of Cologne.  Last year, we encountered “difficult soil” but seeds were sown.  In some circumstances, hearts were pricked and lives forever changed…but there is so much still to be done in a city with a population of over 1 million and less than 1% professing Christians. 

3 weeks after returning from Cologne, I’ll board a flight for Trinidad along with 5 other ladies from FBC.  We will minister to local women through a weekend conference.  Our team will be responsible for every aspect of the event.  Personally, I’ve been asked to teach one of the sessions centered on “Hope in Trying Times.”   When the conference theme fell on my ears, I knew again that this is no accident.  “Hope in Trying Times” is a prominent, recurring theme of this Pilgrim's journey.

With 2 fast approaching mission trips, I am trusting God to provide through friends and family the necessary financial and prayer support.  Both trips amount to $4K (air fare, lodging, and ministry supplies)  and I have a goal of raising all funds prior to June 7th.  Any financial contributions will be a blessing and are tax deductible.   If you feel led to contribute, you may give online through Fellowship’s Paypal account now, indicating "Holley/Missions" as the donation purpose. 

 The Paypal "button" is about mid-page at the following link:     http://fellowshiproswell.org/about/generosity/online-giving/

 If you prefer to mail a check, make it payable to FBC and attach a note indicating: “Missions-Holley”

Fellowship Bible Church/Tawnda Holley
480 W. Crossville Road
Roswell, GA 30075
Robin, Kathy and Me... 3 of the 7 Tuesday Night Saints
(by the Sea of Galilee)

Please indicate in a comment or via email to t@fellowshiproswell.org  your interest in joining my prayer support team.  You’ll receive team updates leading up to departure as well as any updates possible while “on the ground.”  The enemy is never happy when the hope of Christ is shared with others… opposition is expected, but our God is greater and He hears the prayers of our intercessors!

Thank you so much for your consideration and your prayers as I, along with my teammates prepare for these God-sized adventures. Upon returning, I look forward to sharing all that our
great God does in and through our teams in Cologne and Trinidad.

Many Blessings,
Tawnda
Psalm 84:5-6





No comments:

Post a Comment