Monday, August 1, 2011

"43"

With my 43rd birthday fast approaching, I've been pondering life's great mysteries. 42 years have taught me much, but perplexing questions remain.  (Feel free to provide answers!)

  1. Why do women rarely want to share their age….rather than embrace it, thankful for each day they’ve been given.
  2. Why do educated people still say “ATM Machine” and “PIN Number”?  (Like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.)
  3. Why does racism STILL exist?  Why did it ever?
  4. Why can an 18 year old young man risk his life while serving in our military – but be denied the right to purchase alcohol when he returns home from war?
  5. Why is there a braille keypad on drive-up ATMS?
  6. How can a mother who has brought a child into this world, elect to terminate a subsequent pregnancy?
  7. Why does the Christian Community often ostracize the homosexual community rather than embrace them as we embrace adulterers, thieves, liars, and people with addictions?  I feel confident that if Jesus were walking on Earth today, he’d be spending time with our gay brothers and sisters – just as He spent time with prostitutes, lepers and Pharisees.  (One of my best friends for years was a gay man, a Christian – in fact, the son of a Minister.  If I understand scripture correctly – he was no more a sinner than my straight friends.)
  8. Why does society pressure people into being parents when some people should definitely NOT be responsible for the life of a child …not even a hamster in some cases?
  9. How can any parent claim to love a child and then neglect, abuse or abandon them? (see #8)
  10. Why do some parents buy their underage children alcohol and cigarettes in an attempt to gain their affection  - then act surprised when years later, those “now adult” children have no respect for them as a parent?
  11. Do people pronounce the word “Dawn” – “Dwon?”  No? Then, why is it I’m called “Twonda” on a daily basis?
  12. If we are what we eat, then why am I not fat-free?  Better yet, why do I get “cottage cheese thighs?”
  13. Why is the speed limit on Jones Road 35mph? 
  14. Why is the speed limit on 285 65mph? (If you were to drive 65mph – your car would quickly become an accordion?)  It seems they should either raise the speed limit or start enforcing the current one.
  15. The Christian Bubble:  How are Christians to impact the world for the Kingdom of God if they ONLY spend time with like-minded people?  (One reason I’m glad my children went to public school….although, it took me a long time to get over the “false guilt” of not sending them to private Christian school or Homeschooling.)  It’s pretty amazing to know that my kids have had a positive impact on others who may never have darkened a church’s door.
  16. Why do we have an “emergency brake” in our cars – has anyone ever used it in an emergency?  (I only use it when parking.)
  17. Why do friends think it’s odd that I wash fresh produce with soap?  (Would they eat a potato fresh from the garden without first cleaning it? I think not.)
  18. Why do many people find it okay to eat grapes right from the produce bin in the local supermarket?  Since they’re priced by pound – isn’t that stealing?  Isn’t it also a bit gross since others have groped the fruit and it’s unwashed?  Ick.
  19. Why do some parents of teenagers think it’s an abomination to take them to see a movie with love scenes, but are completely fine with movies filled with murder, gruesome combat scenes, gang activity, domestic violence, racism, drug abuse, etc.?
  20. How is it that so many people dislike cats?  They are the sweetest animals on Earth – and they don’t destroy sheetrock, dump trashcans, tinkle outside of their litter box, etc. 
  21. Why are so many country songs DEPRESSING?
  22. How did a relative die with Cirrhosis of the liver - when he was a very outspoken tee-totaller?
  23. Why do people in “soup lines” have smart phones with data plans?  ($30-$40 would buy a lot of “soup”.)
  24. Why do a handful of people read my blog and then criticize me for being too emotional in my writings?  (It’s MY blog)
  25. Why did so many “experts” attribute Casey Anthony’s behavior to a “dysfunctional family”?  (I know of no family without some level of dysfunction – it’s not a justification for poor decisions, but should serve as a catalyst to make better ones.)
  26. Why is it that after a week of vacation, it feels like we need a week of vacation?
  27. Why do the instructions on Lean Cuisines stipulate that the 1-2 minutes of “sitting time” be in the microwave?  (I’ve tried sitting the entrée on the counter and it clearly makes no difference.)
  28. Why do people in prison get out early because of “good behavior?”  Isn’t that a contradiction?
  29. Why, as a child, was I told that playing “Old Maid” and “Go Fish” – were sinful activities, of a gambling nature? 
  30. Why couldn’t all of my freckles have converged, creating one incredible tan?
  31. Why do people feel the need to drive aggressively?  Rather than elevating their own blood pressure while endangering others, they could simply chill out.  To be quite honest – we all seem to get to the parking lot, traffic light, etc. at about the same time.  What’s another 30-45 seconds?
  32. When will the “Debbie Downers” figure out that no one wants to be around a chronic complainer?  We all have reasons to be grateful…wouldn’t life be more enjoyable if those “worst case scenario” people would focus on life’s little blessings rather than harp on every trivial annoyance?
  33. Why do families feel that it’s beneficial to keep secrets from one another?  If your teenager/adult child makes a stupid decision – or several destructive choices, it’s seems a good idea to let the rest of the family in on what’s going on.  Having siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins aware would likely serve to help the child (and the parents) with loving admonition, prayer, encouragement and accountability.  Everyone does stupid stuff at some point – why do we pretend otherwise?  This is just another way too many parents ENABLE their children. 
  34. What happened to Dick and Jane?  (Was there a final installment that I missed?)
  35. Why are people often quick to accept hearsay as truth but quickly reject absolute truth as a lie?  If you believed all that has been said of me, you’d believe I have been incarcerated – drug addicted – and pregnant outside of wedlock….none of which are true.  (I did tour Alcatraz though...so I guess I was "in prison" - once.)  
  36. Why are women too often competitive with their “friends”?  I figured out in my teen years that guys are much easier to be friends with…they’re oftentimes more honest, far less manipulative, better at keeping confidences,  and  in the case of my friend in #7,  a great fashion consultant.
  37. Why is anticipation often greater than surprise? 
  38. Why do so many sense their calling in life is to “judge others”?  (Perhaps honest self-examination would be time better spent.)
  39. Why did I have to learn the metric system in second grade?
  40. Was I switched at birth?  If not, then why did God place me in my family of origin?  How would I have been different if placed in another? 
  41. What was the purpose of the $2 bill? 
  42. Why is it so hard for us moms to say goodbye to our children when we have spent years preparing them for independence? (Did we fail to prepare ourselves?)
  43. Why did God choose to save a wretch like me?  Why did He choose to bless me so abundantly?   Why did He grace me, one so underserving, with such an amazing husband and wonderful children? Health, a home that I love and  friends that I adore? Why me?  Forever I am grateful...and for each and every candle that's added to my birthday cake, I am thankful. 

       C'mon 43.... "Bring it!" 



11 comments:

  1. Do you really want anyone to answer any of these? I would be glad to comment many of them (especially 20). What I have to say perhaps undermines your basic assumptions that are present in your "questions."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I welcome your input Tom.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, and I realize I'm a minority which is exactly why my husband waited 17 years before agreeing to a kitten (two).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you....this is a great mind dump of which I have wondered about several myself! Birthday dinner on me...whenever and I will answer every question to the best of my ability!

    See ya soon....

    Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, you've given your friends a lot to think about. I love your honesty. JLM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading this Mom! A lot of things are hard to understand in life. However I do know the answer to number 27 :) number 18 I will never understand either, number 35 is the sad truth..Call me later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enlighten me on 27....seriously. : ) (I assume you are ARH - don't think TWH would ask me to call him given his location, and I left BNM at home this morning!).... love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy b'day girl.
    Thanks for posting the questions.
    For #3 on racism, I believe it comes from ingnor-ance, intentional and circumstancial. Most all of us have an inner-redneck against some particular people because we do not know them. We too easily condescend and fear the things we don't understand. Their is a very close link between love and understanding. Usually, these misconceptions will evaporate over a cup of coffee with someone and we see they are more like us than different. One of the reasons racism is still around is that, in the public forum, we usually hear only one side of an issue. It helps if we approach people as individuals instead part of a stereotyped group.
    May you have the best birthday yet,
    CPeace

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could "like" several of these. :)
    No. 17 -- I do the same thing!! My m-i-l taught me that.
    No. 40 - I feel your pain. :)
    No. 42 - it starts with kindergarten and it's already hard for this mom. I guess I should be thankful for the practice!
    No. 34 - Mia has a set of paperback books, so they are still being published!
    No. 35 - I have personal experience with this one. My answer: people are too lazy to find out the truth; and some people boost themselves by being able to look down on others.
    No. 36 -- all too common and it has to do with insecurity/immaturity. That said, I am blessed with some wonderful and very true friends who I trust and can count on to lift me up rather than put me down. And I pray that I am that kind of friend to them!
    No. 29 - absolutely no idea, but perhaps it's the same reason I wasn't allowed to paint my nails or wear makeup until a much older age. :(
    No. 38 - agree - and in my experience it is all-too-common in the church, where it should least be evident due to a little something called "God's grace for all sinners." But we do like to feel a little self-righteous, don't we?
    No. 30 -- Love it!

    to be continued! ~Ivette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I suspect that no. 7 and no. 15 go hand in hand. And I strongly agree. There may not be easy answers but I'm fairly certain these are not the solutions either.
    No. 18 -- ewwwww! When my babies were quite young, I remember one of them asking if they could have some grapes that they spotted in the store. I said that it would have to wait until they were home and washed. A mom friend (with older children) overheard the conversation and said, "Oh, that will change!" meaning, I would learn to give in and let them sample the grapes. And I thought the same thing then as I do now - 'they are not clean' and 'no way!' ha ha

    Thanks once again for expressing your honest (and funny) thoughts.
    ~Ivette

    ReplyDelete
  11. :) - be grateful for an inquiring mind. things that make you go hmmmm. cindy from 4853

    ReplyDelete