Monday, June 3, 2013

The Fragrance of Cologne

It’s a well-known fact that sensory responses trigger recall.  The most prevalent catalysts for me are smells.  There are a few random, yet distinct scents that remind me of childhood.  In the most peculiar way, the faint hint of cigarette or pipe smoke; or the aroma of fresh baked cookies takes me back to my favorite place as a child - my grandparents’ home in Ohio. In contrast, my Grandparents’ home in North Carolina had an aroma comparable to The Cracker Barrel. The wood stove in the family room marked the air distinctly year-round. Of course, any time I stayed at their house, the smell of coffee, bacon & made-from-scratch biscuits met me at (early) morning. These are all great memories! 

There are also odors that bring to mind less-than-favorable recollections.  For reasons I’ll not elaborate, I simply detest cinnamon.  (How ironic since it’s one of the more popular candle/air freshening scents year-round, but especially at Christmas!) Our noses get little credit, yet they have the amazing capacity to bring to mind people, places and events from our emotional and experiential archives. 

As a teenager - I was an ardent fan of Giorgio. Nowadays - I'm strictly a Vera Wang girl. Hopefully, if anyone has come to associate "Vera" with my physical presence, it will be a positive connection - if at all reminiscent of me in the future.  While commercial fragrances may seem trivial - as Christians, we don the eternally life changing, sweet aroma of Christ. I hope and pray that those who encounter and subsequently remember me - will associate the memory with that of  a follower of Jesus: A memory marked by supernatural peace on display - especially in the midst of storms;   of unconditional  love - for all people; of unusual  generosity; transparent authenticity,  and beauty beyond what human eyes can behold.  I pray it will never be recollections of hypocrisy, hatred or haughtiness - what an unimaginable disgrace to the name of Jesus!

 This summer, I have been given the opportunity to act as a "Perfumer" – dispensing the "sweet aroma of Christ" in Cologne, Germany.  How fitting the name of this city!  Our team is one of six, called  to influence the "fragrance" of this city through street evangelism, discipleship, church planting and by supporting the ministry efforts of missionary families already on the ground.
 
Cologne, not unlike the US, has been marred by the stench of greed, lust and hatred.  Vastly different though - Cologne has a Christian population of less than 1%, with a growing Islamic population.  The people of Cologne are in dire need of a new fragrance....one that will linger pleasantly, drawing others toward truth, freedom and eternal salvation.

This will be my second mission trip overseas and I could not be more excited! Often, I hear from family and friends that they don't "get" the need for overseas travel when there are so many physical, financial and spiritual needs right here at home. If you are of like mind - I can see how you might think similarly, especially, if unfamiliar with the implications of Acts 1:8:

 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Fellowship takes Biblical mandates very seriously.  We are a church extensively involved in our local community and with our church family (our Jerusalem).  We are actively engaged in ministering to the Metro and Downtown areas of Atlanta (our Judea) – and throughout the USA (our Samaria.) In recent weeks alone - I've been personally involved in serving   over 1100 of the under-resourced in our local community through "Roswell Day of Hope.” The joyful privilege of ministering to local widows on multiple occasions has been one I’ve come to embrace.  Lastly, on Mother’s Day weekend, for the first time I went behind prison walls to share the hope of Christ with incarcerated women in Georgia’s largest all-female correctional facility.  

Acts 1:8 does not stipulate that each person must travel “to the ends of the earth”.  However, as members of the Body of Christ, we are called to participate in sharing the gospel with the entire world in some way.  You have an opportunity to do so through financial support and most importantly through your prayer coverage.  Please join us in taking the transforming hope of Jesus Christ abroad!  Our team of 6 must quickly raise approximately $18,000 to cover the costs of flights, lodging, food and supplies.  Would you please consider supporting us with a one-time financial gift?  You may contribute financially as the Lord enables you, in one of two ways:

 1.       Via paypal:  http://fellowshiproswell.org/about/generosity/online-giving/   (designate Cologne 6/Tawnda)

2.       Send a check, payable to Fellowship Bible Church,  to:

     
Fellowship Bible Church
ATTN: Cologne 6/Tawnda
480 West Crossville Road
Roswell GA 30075
 
(Fellowship will send an end of year statement for tax purposes)

 If you would like to receive team updates leading up to our July 19th departure, as well as daily updates during our time in Cologne, please indicate so in the comment section.  (You can submit your email address for team updates to:  t@fellowshiproswell.org)

Thank you for prayerfully considering coming alongside of Team 6 as we embark on this God-Sized adventure!  Your support through prayer, finances or both – is a tremendous blessing and an encouragement!  

Grace and Peace,
Tawnda 

 
 “ For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing” (2 Corinthians 2:15)

 “And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” (Ephesians 5:2)

4 comments:

  1. Cologne, Germany...wow. Please add me to your update email list. Cannot wait to hear how God will use you to His glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll direct message you with my contact info. /ag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add me to your update list pls (Robin C.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said and rather than stress myself about what to get you for your birthday, I’ll make a contribution towards your Cologne trip. Love you! (PS - please add me to your list for updates)

    ReplyDelete